It is currently 27 Mar 2017, 01:44
Buy.com Win Your Bid Today At eBay! GoDaddy.com Hosting & Servers 7-day Free trial of Napster Blockbuster Total Access, Plans as low as $3.99

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anti-Depressants.
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2009, 10:28 
Reginald Cuntypants

0_0: Alsations, the lot.
I left school last year having been home tutored since year 9, and since then I've just sort of been sat around on my ass too nervous to do anything. At least a few months ago I was getting up, doing exercises and taking care of myself. Now I just can't seem to be bothered to do anything. The intent is there, but I just don't seem to have any energy to do anything. It feels like trying to start a car without any fuel in the tank.

I've arranged an appointment with a doctor to talk about anti-depressants as I've heard that they can make you feel more energetic and social. I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully I can get some kind of medication so that I have some get-up-and-go.

Has anybody been on anti-depressants, and have they been helpful or a complete bloody nightmare? I'm a little worried that they may make me worse or I'll develop a dependency on them, which is the last thing I need.

"It was true that I didn't have much ambition, but there ought to be a place for people without ambition, I mean a better place than the one usually reserved. How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 6:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, shit, piss, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so?" - Charles Bukowski

Post subject: Re: Anti-Depressants.
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2009, 11:40 
Billionaire Boys Club Chairman

0_0: can i be there
I've been more medicated than Courtney Love...okay maybe even I can't claim that. But they really help me stay stable day to day. I rock out of Trileptal mostly, have a bunch of seroquel for those emergencies (ie I'm going for a tire iron to bludgeon someone), and a bunch of homeopathics so my liver and kidneys stay relatively healthy.

You sound like you just need a mood stabilizer more than a mood elevator. Also, the single best medical procedure to improve your mood is exercise. But ask a doctor if you can start on maybe a small dose Aderol to focus you a bit.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2009, 12:48 
Been here too long

0_0: About ready to quit
I was prescribed anti depressants a few years back, never took them so I drink instead.

Last edited by The_Almighty_Stan on 16 Feb 2009, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2009, 15:26 
Mod

0_0: Hawkeye Nation
Drugs can only do so much, yes they can help, but you have to want to be happy and act to be happy. if you cant find happiness within yourself, you are going to have trouble finding it within a pill.

A lot of that involves completely changing your own way of thinking. Things only suck as bad as you let yourself believe they do. If you live in a gutter but think you could do worse, you aren't going to feel as bad as if you think about how much better it could be.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2009, 15:38 
Reginald Cuntypants

I somewhat agree, though I've been through cognitive therapy -which is essentially trying to change your perception of situations from a pessimistic view to a positive one- but I've just felt like I'm lying to myself. Perhaps I didn't try hard enough, but I didn't find bullshitting myself terribly therapeutic.
I'm not looking at drugs as an instant cure, but more as a little booster to give me the confidence to fix things for myself, and eventually come back off of them.

mzziqztixl wrote:
and a bunch of homeopathics so my liver and kidneys stay relatively healthy.

Is that because the medication causes some damage to your system, or is that a separate problem?

mzziqztixl wrote:
You sound like you just need a mood stabilizer more than a mood elevator. Also, the single best medical procedure to improve your mood is exercise. But ask a doctor if you can start on maybe a small dose Aderol to focus you a bit.

Tried exercise too until I was told to change my routine and fell off the wagon.
It just feels like I can't do anything at the moment. Anyhoo, I'll see what happens.Though I'm expecting an "I'm sorry, but you're just not bad enough. Let me forward you to somebody you've already seen who can waste your time while you watch your life ticking away."

"It was true that I didn't have much ambition, but there ought to be a place for people without ambition, I mean a better place than the one usually reserved. How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 6:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, shit, piss, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so?" - Charles Bukowski

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2009, 16:26 
Have you tried turning it off and on again

0_0: Fortress of solitude
You should go take a trip...somewhere like Eastern Europe. If you can, follow the route that Michael Palin took for his New Europe series, the most amazing places probably in Europe.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2009, 16:36 
Reginald Cuntypants

A change of scenery may be pretty nice. It's hard to feel energetic on a grey, rainy little island with little culture. Plus Eastern European women are stunning. *cough*
Thing is I'm agoraphobic too, so a trip of that scale may be pretty daunting. (Oh yes, there's more!) Though I guess going anywhere is better than sticking to my open prison.

I haven't seen that series yet, I'll keep an eye out for it. ^_^

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2009, 22:57 

medicine is really hard on your kidneys and liver because your body is processing shit it isn't really meant too.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 09:43 
Reginald Cuntypants

Aaah I didn't know that. :ugh: Hmm, that may be an issue, then.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 20:04 
Spam Warrior

0_0: UK
First off Dark, although all this info from other people may be sort of useful, their health system is very different...

I'll explain

In England we live in a benefit fraud state and 90% of people going to the doc for anti depressants are just looking for a few easy weeks or months off work (and the doctor knows this)

The first time you go he will evaluate you and almost always subscribe you pills and sign you off for a fortnight.

he will say things like, take one of these tablets a day but don't feel disheartened because the tablets will take a while to kick in...

from experience this is bull, the doctor has prescribed you the right drug for the job but he has given you too small of a dose (The placebo affect) it will take a fair few visits of saying they aint working to get your dosage upped...

anyway... Anti depressants are normally used to control different illnesses such as epilepsy so going on them long term isn't likely too fuck your liver up as much as people say, however, there are a hell of alot of side affects; vomiting, nausea, not knowing whether your here or there, light headed, itching just to list a few.

Down to the nitty gritty... although depression is a very serious illness when it comes down to it it just means your sad, few pointers on how i tackled it:

Get into a routine

Do things you enjoy more often

Get out the house, even if its just for a walk

Take every thing that you want to change in life and tackle each problem ONE at a time changing your lifestyle doesnt happen over night

Go to bed on a night (you'd be amazed at what a good night sleep can do)

Be selfish for a while if something makes you happy, do it

get a job (if you dont already have one)

try not to drink as much it just makes it worse

don't get stressed (i can tell you ways to manage stress if you want me to post it up, this was the main source of my depression)

eat

Back to the doctors anyway, From experience the drugs weren't the way for me, but they do work for some people, i strongly suggest that you try other avenues before you go straight onto the pills, see if your doctor can organize counseling this can help determine the route of all of your depression, this helped for me but there is normally a massive waiting list...

this is all i can think of at the moment because i'm very tired and feel like i've rambled on too long anyway any questions just post in here or PM me (that is if you want my advice)

P.s sorry if anyone has already covered anything of what i've said i only scan read the thread.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009, 00:31 
Post Whore

Losing interest in everything is a classic sign of depression. I took zoloft when I was 13-14 (Same reason, dropped out of school), and it worked okay. I got lucky though, most people have to switch brands 2 or 3 times before they find something that works with their brain chemistry (keeping in mind that you need to be on it for at least a few months before determining if it's working or not, it can easily take 1-2 years before improvement).
So for that reason, you can't rely on it. The best way to get out of a depression is to figure out what's causing it, and work from there.

I'm a greasy teenager with nothing going for me... keep your distance from me... It's people like you who have fucked me up royally in the first place -and you know I'm a mess… I just can't seem to get over wanting everybody to like me. - #1 Queen of TOT

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009, 00:40 
Epic Cocksucker

0_0: USA
My twin sister is on anti-depressants. They made her gain weight something fierce... she has the same problem where she has no ambition to do anything...

This thread interests me as I hope to recommend something to get her motivated again.

Oh, and be careful if you "get a change of scenery" my sis just tried that and has very nasty burns...

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009, 10:15 
Reginald Cuntypants

Thanks to all three of you. I'm not terribly clued up when it comes to medication.
Perhaps drugs aren't the best path to go down yet, seeing as I'm not that bad. Though I'm not really that good, either.
I've been through various psychologists over the course of 3-4 years, but there's never been enough consistency for things to work. The national health service has never been that useful, but at £40 a session with a private psychologist it's all I've got, really. I think that one of the things which has contributed to my lack of motivation is that I've had people pulling me in every direction telling me what to do, so now I don't really have any confidence in my own actions. Plus it seems that every time I do something on my own I screw it up royally. :ugh:

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009, 11:49 
Spam Warrior

You can't live life trying to please other people, just doesn't work like that mate. Do what you wanna do or you'll never be happy

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009, 11:53 
Reginald Cuntypants

So they say, though I still seem to be pathologically programmed to try until I burn myself out. God knows why. :ugh:

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009, 12:19 

Go fuck a hooker...seriously! :) That might get you interested...

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009, 12:27 
Spam Warrior

Start a project maybe to keep yourself occupied, I'm building a gigantic server case at the moment.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009, 12:31 
Been here too long

0_0: About ready to quit
crimsonred wrote:
Go fuck a hooker...seriously! :) That might get you interested...

Best advice ever.
Seriously though, getting laid might be good for you.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009, 14:34 
Reginald Cuntypants

No shit. :( When that bus load of cheerleaders breaks down outside of my house I'll try my luck. At the moment I'm not going to be getting laid as I don't have the balls to go out and there aren't any hookers in a friendly Christian neighbourhood. (Which, by the way, I refuse to belong to. *shudders*)
I should have gone for it when I had the chance, damn it. Oh, why didn't I have tea and crumpets?! -Expression courtesy of Crim.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009, 14:53 

Markie boiii you need to go find Dark and get him laid then! :)

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009, 14:56 
Reginald Cuntypants

I went to Australia a few years ago. They have legal brothels there, and you only have to be 16 to enter apparently. Though I wasn't aware of it at the time. To be honest I don't want to be having sex with somebody who resents me... though it would have been the same if I'd slept with my ex.
I used to IM with a chick who worked in an Aussie brothel. Where did everything go so wrong?

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009, 19:43 
Spam Warrior

crimsonred wrote:
Markie boiii you need to go find Dark and get him laid then! :)

I'm sure i could arrange something.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 02:15 

my a nti depressant is thinking about anon freaking out when he sees the spam bot hit EVERY SINGLE FORUM

lol

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 02:20 
Epic Cocksucker

0_0: USA
My anti depressant just logged on.
...and then logged out... fucker...

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 16:07 
Creepy Old Man

0_0: Whoville Hash o_0
I'm Sorry beautiful, I didn't know you were looking for me

PS the Av looks like it was taken post coitus, you have that "yea you fucked me good" look on your face :p

In almost every case a bullet is better than a lawyer.

I want to leave the world the same way I came in: naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next