It is currently 23 Jun 2017, 07:02
Buy.com Win Your Bid Today At eBay! GoDaddy.com Hosting & Servers 7-day Free trial of Napster Blockbuster Total Access, Plans as low as $3.99

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey Fatass.
PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 14:39 
Mod

0_0: Hawkeye Nation
I used to tell myself similar things when I smoked, when i drank every night, when I enjoyed my Redbull & MountainDew breakfast every morning, when I enjoyed my shitty fast food lunches & my take out dinners (or my microwavable or "just add water" & boil meals).

You lie to yourself. You say "Hey look at George Burns, man drank & smoked cigars to a ripe old age!". You laugh at Dennis Leary joking with pride about eating red meat til he dies while smoking cigarettes through a tracheotomy, you laugh even harder when you hear the bit he stole from Bill Hicks about Jim Fix getting a heart attack while jogging & comparing his life to the life of Babe Ruth who smoked, drank & fucked hookers all the time.

But when the laughter dies down & you're alone, you know better. You know the only person you're kidding is yourself. When you're out of breath from climbing steps, when your bank account is empty from expensive processed foods & cigarettes & alcohol & drugs, when you start to experience problems in the bedroom due to your blood pressure, when you have little random things go wrong with your body as you get older, you know deep down inside, this cannot be done forever.

Some people do a great job at convincing themselves. Sometimes you're dealing with flat out addiction. You tell yourself that you're living a quality life & that quantity is a variable completely outside of your control.

But the problem is your palette has become so unrefined by piling in the velveeta chemical cheese, the sodas, the sugar laden starbucks coffees, the greasy pizza, the 4 min microwave meal, the fast food breakfast & lunch, the wing night special at the local bar, all those wonderful appetizers at applebee's, friday's, chilies, outback, etc.. all the chips, all the salt covered everything.. you don't really know what "quality" is. Most people that eat like shit don't eat tasty food. Period.

If food requires lots sugar & fat & grease to taste good, then that's what you call a bad chef. (unless you're talking desert food of course). When you branch out & start cooking REAL, whole foods, using an oven over a microwave, using spices over sugar & fat, when you start exploring the the sheer infinite combination of tastes & flavors out there, you realize how narrow your perspective was on food before. How a meatballs subway sub & a Quarter Pounder with cheese are a lot more similar to each other than any 2 things I make from night to night are to each other.

Instead of guzzling down 8-9 shitty macro-brew beers a night, 1 night a month i'll try out a new, finer beer. 1 night a week I'll split a bottle of wine with my girl friend. There's so much to learn about coffee, tea, beer, & wine. Making exploring your drinks a fun experience & doing so in moderation makes it wonderful & beats the hell out of repeatedly just chugging the same old crap, night after night.

I sit & I listen to my mother, who's smoked since she was 19, she's now 60. She says the same thing I did about food, about smoking, about drinking, about drugs. She says "I know I need to quit, but i actually LIKE smoking" As an addict you delude yourself that all those people quitting don't like it. I LOVED smoking. I loved eating shitty food, i loved drinking shitty beer every night of my life for years. You become addicted. If not physically, then at least mentally. You get addicted to the routine, to the taste, to smell. You break that routine & your comfort level with life is just gone & finding new, good, positive habits takes some time, effort & work. Lets just admit it. Most people are lazy. You delude yourself that you like these things outside of mere addiction because you don't know what addiction is until you try to stop.

The best is when people go "Oh cooking is too expensive, i just eat out" You know what I say to those people? Go through your checking account for 60 days & total up every dollar spent at every restaurant, drive through or gas station where you bought sodas or whatever. Me & my girl did this, & we were consistently spending, on average... $1500-2000 on food & drink every 60 days. You don't have clue how much it is b/c it's $1 here for a soda, $3 there for an energy drink, $4 there for a starbucks, $5 there at mcdonald's, $12 there at arbies. $15-18 there for takeout, $30-40 there to eat out 2-3 nights a week. You opt to spend $5-7 on a pre-made meal at the grocery store, rather than cooking stuff with raw materials in bulk. The bulk meal will feed you all week, the pre-made meal feeds you once. We now spend around $700 on food in 60 days. Less than half of what we were spending.

Also when people see others have bad eating (or other) habits live to their 90s they feel justied with what they do. But people fail to understand, genetics are at play ALONG WITH your habits. For instance: Not everyone that smokes gets cancer. They've found that every 1-3 cigarettes you smoke will mutate 1 out of 22,000 genes. Some people's genetics just work in a way that their genes simply don't mutate to that perfect little combination that gives them cancer. Now, should I use this as an excuse to keep smoking? How do I know I'll be one of those that nothing happens to? I don't. Just like people shoveling garbage down their throat day after day don't know. When you look at the places, that on average have incredibly longer lifespans..Okinawa, the Mediterranean or places that seem to be a model of health by comparison like France for instance, you have to stop & ask, what are they doing right? What are we doing wrong.

Then you have people who assume (possibly wrongly) that people like me today are snobs. I remember 2 years ago, before I quit anything. I took on this macho attitude about people who enjoyed fine beers, drank wine, drank nicer coffees & teas, who snarled at my dietary choices. I sounded like something out of Idiocracy. I basically considered these people and fooides as faggy snobs. I didn't get why they were trying to correct people. I saw it as peering down at people. I saw it as no different than people who like some hip indie band chastising people for listening to radio pop. But I learned, it's no where near the same. It's not a matter of just taste here.

But the reality was, they care. They're not snobs. Our food supply today is mostly poison, slow poison, but poison nonetheless. The majority populace has taken up incredible unhealthy, unsustainable lifestyles, that's going to cost all of us.. be it through insurance premiums or through our taxes, & we're destroying ourselves.

While I'm not a vegetarian, but, from an environmental standpoint we simply shouldn't be eating the massive amount of meat we do. The amount of land & grain used just to provide the world beef daily, could be used to feed so many other people if you just stopped using it to raise cattle.

From world hunger, to environmental protection, to our national healthcare, & to living a happy, healthy life at an individual level, this shit is important.

People can get all macho like i once did. Muddy the argument & throw your hands up in the air saying you can't control the length of your life & laugh about how the body builder gets ran over by a bus at the ripe old age of 24. Go ahead & lie & say you're arguing for the quality of your life because you enjoy food that is basically made from the marvels of modern science & really isn't "food" in a literal sense. They only person these people are kidding are themselves.

They'll try to reverse the argument & say "hey i'd never tell you what to eat". Well that's true. Because when you're at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of taste & nutrition, you can't possibly fathom doing so. I know, i've been that person. When i was that person, deep down inside, i knew i was full of shit & these people do too.

I don't care what your religion is, no one has any clue what happens when we die. You might believe in this or that, but you don't know. None of us can know. Most of us have people that we love, that love us. We have things that bring us tremendous amounts of joy in this world. Joy far beyond what a big mac or a cigarette will ever bring us. One day these things will be gone. There'll be a day where you don't get to experience waking up next to the beautiful woman you love, where you won't see your children anymore, where you won't be around to be moved by a beautiful piece of art or nature. There'll come a day where you won't be laughing & joking with your friends. There'll be a day where you won't get to enjoy one more great novel, & experience some mind blowing movie. There'll come a day where you won't be around to cuddle your pets, or to have a comedian have you in tears with a joke. There's come a day where they won't be any excitement, any love, any orgasms, any connection. There'll come a day when you won't have any of it because you'll be fucking dead.

If there's some unlikely afterlife, wait around for me, I want you to tell me if the DoubleDown & the Thickburger was the "quality" of life you were after. If these were the things that brought you joy in this world. If, when you're 6 feet under or cremated in an urn, if smoking cigarettes, or guzzling down shit beer every night, or stuffing your face with HungryMan Meals, or drinking more soda than water, if all of that was really worth losing everything else over. If you could've given up one bad habit, to get just one more month out of your life with your loved ones, with all the amazing fucking things this earth has to offer in terms of experiences..would you? Is fast food, chain bars & grills, & high intakes of sugar really worth it. Really? Is that what you people consider quality?

If that's what you consider quality, you're either addicted to your lifestyle or you haven't experienced loss via death enough to fucking get it.

Post subject: Re: Hey Fatass.
PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 15:06 
Billionaire Boys Club Chairman

0_0: can i be there
:h5: Well said.

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 08:17 
Less is More

0_0: New Zealand
moderation. have a big mac. just not every day of the week. have a steak. just not every day of the week. i don't drink energy drinks unless i'm in exam mode. that shit is poison. i don't drink coke. that shit is poison. i drink cheap beer/casked alcohol... i'm too poor a student to live that finer life you speak of atm, but recognize that once i get a job and start getting paid i'll ween off inferior goods and move on to luxury goods.

you say that fast food/greasey/salty/processed food is the devil incarnate, but what kind of a life is it where you can't occasionally enjoy that sort of thing. they shouldn't be an every day thing like they are for many a people, but fuck going my whole life without a bacon samwhich. i want to enjoy a treat every now and then.

Tramps like us, baby we were born to run

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 08:20 
Less is More

0_0: New Zealand
moderation. have a big mac. just not every day of the week. have a steak. just not every day of the week. i don't drink energy drinks unless i'm in exam mode. that shit is poison. i don't drink coke. that shit is poison. i drink cheap beer/casked alcohol... i'm too poor a student to live that finer life you speak of atm, but recognize that once i get a job and start getting paid i'll ween off inferior goods and move on to luxury goods.

you say that fast food/greasey/salty/processed food is the devil incarnate, but what kind of a life is it where you can't occasionally enjoy that sort of thing. they shouldn't be an every day thing like they are for many a people, but fuck going my whole life without a bacon samwhich. i want to enjoy a treat every now and then.

Tramps like us, baby we were born to run

PostPosted: 18 May 2010, 16:33 

Its so funny that I read this today. I just decided to stop smoking. Also, all the drinking I have been doing lately too is really getting to me. I'm gaining way to much weight lately and just getting lazy. This was nice to read to get me off my ass and get motivated to a healthier me.. Thanks Anon!!

PostPosted: 19 May 2010, 09:57 
Mod

0_0: Hawkeye Nation
np, congrats on the non-smoking.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]