It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 02:48
Buy.com Win Your Bid Today At eBay! GoDaddy.com Hosting & Servers 7-day Free trial of Napster Blockbuster Total Access, Plans as low as $3.99

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tires just got high tech!
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 03:01 
Have you tried turning it off and on again

0_0: Fortress of solitude
Pirelli microchipped Cyber Tyre improves safety, performance

Quote:
The handling characteristics of the average car are primarily determined by the tires and the few square inches that are their contact patch. Up until now, tires have been decidedly low tech, at least to the untrained eye. Pirelli is aiming to change this, while giving us more information about what happens where the rubber meets the road, with its upcoming Cyber Tyre technology.

Essentially, the Cyber Tyre is an intelligent tire with an RFID microchip embedded that communicates with the car's electronic systems, such as ABS and traction control, relaying information about the state of the tire. This information includes operating temperature and pressure, road surface information, vertical load exerted on the tire, and dimensions of the footprint area. The chip is powered by the vibrations of the rotating tire and is molded into the tire's carcass.

By monitoring the state of the tire, many problems, such as blowouts or fuel economy loss due to underinflation can be eliminated preemptively. Pirelli hopes that by locating sensors in the tire itself, the vehicle will be able to react more quickly to issues with traction than systems with the sensors located further up the drivetrain. We think that when you're dealing with thousands of pounds of metal rounding a turn while perched on a few square inches of rubber, every nanosecond counts.

Source:http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10028664-1.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=Crave

Post subject: Re: Tires just got high tech!
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 09:16 
Mod

0_0: Hawkeye Nation
Wow.... i hope the chips are cheap kuz tires cost too much already!

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 10:50 
Have you tried turning it off and on again

0_0: Fortress of solitude
Yeah and its Pirelli nonetheless...so expect that to be burning a hole in your pocket!So much for safety...

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 11:43 
Lurker

0_0: Jersey
Care to take a gander at what Porsche will be putting on the new turbos and GT2s?

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2008, 21:20 

0_0: USA
I'm just wondering what kind of interface these will use. If my current car doesn't support any kind of messaging system, how does it inform me of said issues? Is there a headunit that ships with these that can be mounted inside the vehicle? Details Pirelli, details!

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]