It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 22:04
Buy.com Win Your Bid Today At eBay! GoDaddy.com Hosting & Servers 7-day Free trial of Napster Blockbuster Total Access, Plans as low as $3.99

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wierd??
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2009, 17:59 
Post Whore

0_0: BBQ
Hey i don't know how many gearheads there are on here, but I was jsut wondering if anyone knows if it's a a common thing for dealers to "flash" the Rom (computer, or computers that pretty much manage everything in your cars form gearshifts to fuel air mixtures) even if it's just to check an interior issue.

I only ask because I have an 06 mazda 6 V6 that has a broken seat motor (for you prevs the one that goes up and down not back and forth.) When I took it in to check it out the said it was broken ordered a replacment, and that it'll be in in 5 days, warranties are nice things... When I drove it back out and this isn't the first time I've noticed the shift points, power band (yes I can tell) are all different from before i drove in.

So anyway just wondering is this a common thing for them to do cause everytime I take it in seems that this happens, then I have to take about 2 weeks to retrain it and get back to where it should be...damn adaptive roms.

Post subject: Re: Wierd??
PostPosted: 27 May 2009, 15:27 

most newer cars have a ecu that controls most of the car. When you take you car in to have it worked on and the dealer has to disconnect the battery so they dont kill everything, the battery being disconnected will automatically reset itself to the original specs. all newer cars are adaptive and learn as you dive and make different fuel maps and this that and the other. it is not something they are doing to annoy you it is to save your car while they are working on the electronics. it is also recommended that you reset it each time you take it in for a service (more then just a oil change). so like every 15-30k it should be reset so that it can relearn everything. resetting it is not going to hurt your car. this is a good thing for it and you will get better gas mileage and such when you do your major services.

PostPosted: 29 May 2009, 09:56 
Less is More

0_0: New Zealand
lol i know this is a bump, but i took my car to get the faulty electric window motor fixed, he (an autoelectrician) tightened my clutch while he was at it (wtf?!!)

Tramps like us, baby we were born to run

PostPosted: 29 May 2009, 16:32 

JDC wrote:
lol i know this is a bump, but i took my car to get the faulty electric window motor fixed, he (an autoelectrician) tightened my clutch while he was at it (wtf?!!)

Some cars have a cable driven clutch while others have a hydraulic clutch (operates via fluid). If you car has a cable clutch then yes you can tighten it. Cables stretch over time and need to have the slack taken out of them. This will make it so that the clutch will engage at a lower point in the pedal stroke. Its a good thing to tighten.

PostPosted: 30 May 2009, 09:25 
Less is More

0_0: New Zealand
o know. but my auto electrician did it, when he was fixxin my electric windows. whut teh sheit.

Tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]