It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 05:24
Buy.com Win Your Bid Today At eBay! GoDaddy.com Hosting & Servers 7-day Free trial of Napster Blockbuster Total Access, Plans as low as $3.99

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I FUGGIN WANT ONE!
PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 14:00 
Creepy Old Man

0_0: Whoville Hash o_0
The 2 door convertible Fisker Karma S...

Or the sedate 4 door sedan Fisker Karma

Make mine an "S" please.
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Quote:
Fisker Automotive has unveiled the production version of its super-luxe Karma plug-in hybrid, and as gorgeous as it is, it’s nothing compared to the convertible parked next to it.

The Karma S — for Sunset — concept that debuted at the Detroit auto show shares its gas-electric drivetrain with the Karma sedan but wraps it in an even sleeker two-door body that could see production within two years. The California startup’s range-extended electric vehicles — like the Tesla Roadster, Cadillac Converj concept and high-dollar hybrids from Mercedes and BMW — point to an emerging market of premium green cars that place as much importance on performance as they do efficiency.

"Our goal is to make eco-friendly cars without compromise either in performance or design," says company founder and lead designer Henrik Fisker.

Not bad for a company that is barely two years old and appears to be on target to put its first cars in driveways by the end of the year. Still, it is highly unusual to offer a second model before you’ve even finished your first.

"It’s surprising that he would unveil a second body style so quickly after the first," says Eric Noble, president of The Car Lab, a consulting firm that works with automakers and others in the industry. "Some people who might have wanted a Karma will think, ‘Well, if I can have a convertible, I’ll wait another year.’ At some point, you’re competing with yourself."

Noble says high-end luxury automakers tend to wait a year or two, or at least until their production run is sold out, before offering new models or variations on existing models. Bentley, for example, offered the Continental GTC, then followed it first with GTC Speed and GTC Speed Convertible models. Such an approach keeps what is a relatively limited pool of customers coming back. "The old joke with (the Dodge) Viper was the most likely new customer was an old customer," he said.

That’s not to say unveiling a convertible so soon is a bad idea. It can maintain excitement among investors or drum up support from suppliers, Noble says, so "there must be other business reasons besides building sales for Fisker revealing another body style."

Whatever the reason, Fisker says building the Karma S required little modification to the sedan beyond the folding top and shortening the sedan’s aluminum space frame to account for the two-door body style. The convertible added just 15 percent to the cost of building the sedan, which carries a retail price starting at $87,900. Another $18,599 gets you the "Eco-Chic" model, which has an interior free of all animal products, with woodwork made from submerged logs (no clearcutting required).

"The Karma’s material philosophy balances sensuality and accountability," Fisker says. "We have gone to great lengths to use only environmentally conscious, classic automotive materials that support a commitment to our eco initiatives."

Under the skin, the two cars use the same gas-electric drivetrain, which Fisker calls Q-Drive, developed with help from Quantum Technologies. The Karma will work much like the Chevrolet Volt, delivering 50 miles of all-electric range before the 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine kicks in to drive a generator that will recharge the 22.6-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery and provide juice to keep the car moving. A rooftop solar panel on the sedan comprised of 80 cells divided into four zones. Output is 130 watts, and it helps charge the battery and, when the car is parked, keep the interior cool. Toyota’s got something similar on the 2010 Prius it unveiled a few hours before the Karma S broke cover.

Beneath the car’s aluminum-and-composite body lies an aluminum spaceframe chassis that cradles two electric motors that together produce 300 kW
(408 horsepower) and a stunning 959 foot-pounds of torque. Fisker claims the sedan, which weighs 4,650 pounds, will do zero to 60 in 5.8 seconds. Top speed is limited to 125 mph.

Fisker rolled out the first Karma prototype at last year’s Detroit auto show, and since then he’s poached engineers and executives from some of the top automakers to get it built. Powertrain engineer Paul Boskovitch, for example, came from General Motors, where he worked on the pioneering EV1 electric car, GM’s hybrids and the Volt.

Although the Karma’s electric drivetrain is a proprietary system designed in conjunction with Quantum Technologies, the engine, air-conditioning system, steering column and other "bits and baubles" were pulled from the GM parts bin, says Fisker spokesman Russell Datz.

Fisker may be getting help from GM, but, like Tesla Motors, he’s bringing a new business model to the auto industry.

His company isn’t financed by stockholders or government loans, but by venture capitalists, including the powerhouse firm of Kleiner, Perkins Caufield & Byers. It is outsourcing much of the work to top-tier suppliers like Edag Engineering and Magna Intier, and the cars will be assembled by Valmet, the Finnish firm that builds cars for Porsche. Fisker Automotive bought a big share of Advanced Lithium Power, so it’s got a battery supplier lined up.

Though Datz’ couldn’t confirm it, one source tells us Fisker Automotive is "flush with cash," and another says it paid at least one supplier in cash, bumping its job to the top of the supplier’s to-do list, because most automakers take months to pay their bills.

Still, Fisker still has to get its car certified by the feds — an arduous task that some industry insiders doubt it will complete before the end of the year, particularly since we haven’t seen running cars. It also has to establish a dealer network, but Fisker says 40 dealers will be up-and-running by year’s end. Some seasoned industry watchers say Fisker undoubtedly will get his cars built, but they aren’t betting he’ll do it by the end of the year.

Fisker says he’s received orders for 1,300 vehicles, and he tells The New York Times his company would turn a profit if it sold 4,000 cars annually. The goal, he says, is to sell 15,000 worldwide each year.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/01/a-convertible-i/

In almost every case a bullet is better than a lawyer.

I want to leave the world the same way I came in: naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

Last edited by dageaux on 04 May 2009, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: I FUGGIN WANT ONE!
PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 14:04 
Been here too long

0_0: About ready to quit
I'd take an "S"

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 14:05 

The rims on the first one are so freakin sweet.

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 14:41 
Creepy Old Man

BayouGirl25 wrote:

Just from experience I could say those would be a real whore to detail. Of course if I had 90K to spend on a hybrid sports car, I could probably afford a T-nig to wash it once a week.

I don't think I would want to spend the extra 20K on "eco-friendly" model...as a matter of fact, screw that; I want a whole freaking herd of Corinthian calves sacrificed for that interior baby.

I want to leave the world the same way I came in: naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 14:44 

dageaux wrote:
BayouGirl25 wrote:

Just from experience I could say those would be a real whore to detail.

Thats what I have a husband for, silly

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 16:09 
Have you tried turning it off and on again

0_0: Fortress of solitude
Nice...not bad. The style seems to be borrowed a bit from the Z series, but still looks pretty good.

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 18:57 
Big Daddy Phat

0_0: Drinkin'
You spelled 1966 Pontiac GTO wrong, Dag..

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 22:25 
Keeps it bukkake

Pfft that ain't no pinto

One morning I woke up and found my favorite pigeon, Julius, had died I was devastated and was gonna use his crate as my stickball bat to honor him. I left the crate on my stoop and went in to get something and I returned to see the sanitation man put the crate into the crusher. I rushed him and caught him flush on the temple with a titanic right hand he was out cold, convulsing on the floor like a infantile retard. - Mike Tyson

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 16:50 
Less is More

0_0: New Zealand
you spelled holden kingswood wrong father. haha

Tramps like us, baby we were born to run

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 20:51 
Big Daddy Phat

JDC wrote:
you spelled holden kingswood wrong father. haha

You spelled Kingswood Country wrong.

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 07:13 
Less is More

beautiful haha.

my mate just won this bad boy too

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 07:50 
Creepy Old Man

OMG is that an old Nova? I haven't seen one of those in years. My mom had one when I was a kid...bright fuggin yellow and I mean BRIGHT!

That old GTO is pretty sweet too. I miss the days of American Muscle Cars.

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 08:23 
Less is More

pretty sure its an australian holden kingswood. but yeah, muscle cars are the shizzle.

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 08:27 
Creepy Old Man

So Australian motor companies produce knock offs of old American cars? Weird.

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 08:31 
Less is More

well holden's sorta parent company is General Motors... so somewhere along the lines...
and they're not new cars. they were late 60s-late70s/early80s maybe? dunno, not a car person.

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 08:35 
Creepy Old Man

ok that explains it then.

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 08:55 
Big Daddy Phat

dageaux wrote:

The other way around, baby.

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 08:59 
Spam Warrior

0_0: UK
Father wrote:
dageaux wrote:

The other way around, baby.

I thought Australians rode around on kangaroo's until recently, meh

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 09:04 
Big Daddy Phat

Mark Peterman wrote:

:ugh:

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 09:10 
Less is More

sorry man, but no lul from that one. kinda weak.

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 11:11 
Closet Connoisseur

0_0: Balls.
Mark Peterman wrote:

It's okay I'm going to be totally serious and admit that I thought there were monkeys as big as mighty joe young until a couple years ago. :(

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]