It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 01:29
Buy.com Win Your Bid Today At eBay! GoDaddy.com Hosting & Servers 7-day Free trial of Napster Blockbuster Total Access, Plans as low as $3.99

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheapskate's Guide to Legal Gaming.
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 14:51 
Reginald Cuntypants

0_0: Alsations, the lot.
Seeing as I can't/won't shell out for a next gen games console and my PC was considered high-end in 1999, I'm being driven to the darkest corners of the interwebs looking for a fix of fresh video game blood. I figured I may as well post some of the glimmers of gold amongst the shit in case anybody else is always looking for cheap thrill.

I know you can pirate shit, but I'm also too cheap to be risking having to pay fines.
I'll probably edit this post pretty often, so check back.

----------------------

Games I Play Regularly:

Sauerbraten (FPS) - The first game I ever downloaded and still my favourite. It's a belt-and-braces FPS with an intuitive and easy to learn level editor which can also be used online with other people. Doesn't demand a monster set-up and provides instant, fast-paced fun. Also has an active community who contribute new maps, mods and scripts regularly.
No registration required.
ImageImageImageImageImage

America's Army (FPS) - An ultra-realistic military training sim which appeals to the more serious gamer. Takes fucking ages to download, and you have to go through offline training before you can play online. Even then the honour system can restrict which servers you're allowed in, but the realism is its appeal. Don't expect Quake here.
Requires registration. AA3 is more graphics intensive whereas the original should run on low-spec computers.
ImageImageImage

Crossfire (FPS) - More serious than Sauerbraten, but still a fun jump-in frag fest. You earn credits to buy better equipment through kicking ass, which thus aids you in kicking more ass, but unfortunately they're not above trying to squeeze money out of you. Some weapons and gear has to be bought with real money, which gives paying players an unfair advantage. They don't seem to give a shit about their users, either, looking at the forums. Still a pretty decent shooter with some cool team based game modes, aside from a few creases.
Registration required. Optional pay for extra features. (Cunts.)
ImageImageImageImage

Drift City (MMORPG/Racer) - A bit of a kiddies game full of douchebags, but you can ignore the community if you want to. Complete story based missions and time trials to earn credits which you can then use to upgrade your car or buy a new one. You can then test your mean machine against other racers in the battle zone. Features four free-roam cities which you can tour around at your leisure. Pretty good time killer, but the lag can be a bit of an issue when racing, and the missions become a bit repetitive after a while. Not to mention the absolutely ridiculous hoop-jumping you have to do just to install the damn thing. Sorry. I'm supposed to be promoting this.
Requires registration. Option to pay for extra upgrades and customisations. Still playable without.
ImageImageImage

Phun (Physics/Gadget) - More of a toy than a game, but great fun for wannabe engineers. Make any contraptions that your mind imagines and have fun playing with and improving them. Large amounts of objects will take a toll on your processor as it's trying to simulate the physics.
No registration. Low file size. Easy to pick up.
ImageImageImageImage

Allegiance (Flight Sim/RTS) - Never did get the hang of this, but you may appreciate it if you're into strategy games. A team-based sci-fi flight sim which revolves around capitalising on resources and conquering the battlefield. If you're a glory hound, you probably won't like this as you have to be willing to take orders. Once you know what you're doing, you can take the role of commander and instruct your team mates using a radar interface.
Requires registration. Low file size.
ImageImageImageImage

Penumbra (Demo/Survival Horror) - Normally I wouldn't bother with posting a demo, but this is a must-see. This game is one of the few I've seen that is truly immersive, as you can pick up and interact with objects in real time to get further in the game. It will shit you up at some point, I promise. There's no weaponry to fight monsters - only what is around you. I would have actually paid good money for the full game if they accepted debit cards.
No registration. No online play. Easy install.
ImageImageImageImageImage

------------------------

Resources:

Real PC Games you can Download for Free

10 Best Free Games Sites

Full List of Free First Person Shooters

Free MMO Gamer

Download "The Suffering - Ties That Bind" Free and Legally.

GameDev Amateur Developer's Showcase

Download Abandonware (Requires DOSbox emulator) Bit of a legal grey area, so watch out there.

High Quality Free FPS Games

"It was true that I didn't have much ambition, but there ought to be a place for people without ambition, I mean a better place than the one usually reserved. How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 6:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, shit, piss, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so?" - Charles Bukowski

Last edited by Darkstar on 10 Sep 2009, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Cheapskate's Guide to Legal Gaming.
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 17:59 
Spam Warrior

0_0: UK
http://osswin.sourceforge.net/games.html

Merry X-mas Dark

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 18:38 
Big Daddy Phat

0_0: Drinkin'
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009, 05:51 
Spam Warrior

he'd never have to buy another game again...

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009, 07:05 
Reginald Cuntypants

No, I'd just have to keep pouring money into maintaining the subscription. :squint:
Never did like RPGs anyway. Levelling up gets so fucking tedious and turn-based combat gets repetitive.

Mark Peterman wrote:
http://osswin.sourceforge.net/games.html

Merry X-mas Dark

I think I've played most of the games that are worth the effort on that list. :ugh:
Even if a game is good in principle, it's still no good if there's no active community. That's the problem I've had with games like Tremulous.

"It was true that I didn't have much ambition, but there ought to be a place for people without ambition, I mean a better place than the one usually reserved. How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 6:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, shit, piss, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so?" - Charles Bukowski

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009, 21:05 
Big Daddy Phat

Mark Peterman wrote:

He'd never have to buy a lot of things again.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 01:41 
Less is More

0_0: New Zealand
do exercise. it's very rewarding.

Tramps like us, baby we were born to run

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 09:05 
Big Daddy Phat

JDC wrote:
do exercise. it's very rewarding.

If you want to be in as much pain as you can imagine.. constantly.. for two weeks.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 17:53 
Reginald Cuntypants

Father wrote:
Mark Peterman wrote:

He'd never have to buy a lot of things again.

Condoms, in particular.
Though I'd spend what I save in precautions on a real doll. Just to complete the failure checklist.

I ordered the Penumbra box set yesterday. It's coming tomorrow. Fuckin' A... and stuff. About time I had a decent survival horror game. Silent Hill has gone down the shitter, so this should fill the void.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 23:46 
Spam Warrior

Bump cause i found this blog Dark

http://downloadfullversionpcgames.com/b ... ad-online/

And now when i say merry x-mas at least its kinda fitting

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 05:34 
Been here too long

0_0: [_]? or |=---|
Mark Peterman wrote:
Bump cause i found this blog Dark

http://downloadfullversionpcgames.com/b ... ad-online/

And now when i say merry x-mas at least its kinda fitting

Sweet find, pity darkleton has gone awol though..

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]