The Off Topic Forum
http://theofftopic.com/

Atheism or Agnostic
http://theofftopic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37465
Page 1 of 1

Author:  mzziqztixl [ 31 May 2010, 13:30 ]
Post subject:  Atheism or Agnostic

I woke up today and started wondering. Am I really an atheist?

I don't believe in the Christian god, to be sure. I actually feel physically against capitalizing his name. I do not hate the idea of god; I despise the idea and execution of "organized religion (corruption)."

I do not believe in god because there is no proof. I do not believe that Muhammed rose to heaven because humans do not levitate randomly then transform into some form of plasma, energy, etc. I do not believe the "perfect poem" of the Quran was written by an illiterate man because it has provably been altered hundreds of times since AD 900 (the oldest copy of Quran I have read about was dated to this time period). I do not believe that every time I breath I speak the unpronounceable name of god (YHWH). I listen to the Rabbis who tell me that the Torah is a manual of parables - not true stories. I do not believe in a Bible that neglects perhaps the most important chapter of its Gospels (that of Mary). I do not believe that an Old Testment god and a New Testament god are reconcilable. The idea that I am supposed to ask for forgiveness for being a human is beyond absurd to me as is the idea that you would sacrifice your son to show your love. Never. I have no son yet, but I would stand gladly in his place before a million bullets; a smile on my face.
Furthermore, I do not believe in the paradox that someone who loves me infinitely would banish me to a place of eternal suffering and torture willingly.

With the same amount of logic I could dismiss the Roman gods, the Norse idols, and the Sumerian aliens. Yet, I find them even more believable somehow because they are presented honestly. Not to say that I do believe - just trying to point out the inherent flaws of dogma due to the never ending fallacies that they create.

Yet with all of this I do not have the arrogance to believe that there is not something infinitely superior to me in this infinitely expanding universe.

So I come to this dilemma: does the idea that I am open to new evidence towards the existence of (a) god make me agnostic? Can a person be an atheist who does not believe yet be open to the idea of believing? This brings up another dichotomy about faith. Does not having faith in a god mean one can not have faith in humanity or in luck or even in quarks?

It was just something I was pondering most likely because I don't have to do any work today, I'm high, and my brain is wandering.

Author:  dageaux [ 01 Jun 2010, 08:30 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

It helps to remember that if you are agnostic, you are unsure of the existence of a (any) divinity, whereas if you are atheist then you believe completely that there is no, could be no, and never was or will be any form of divine being.

So let us boil it down to lay man's terms.
1.) If you have a chip on your shoulder and go around trying to force your belief in NO god down everyone's throat you are an atheist.
2.) If you prefer to reserve judgment until you actually have information with which to formulate a theory of your own, you are agnostic.

Author:  mzziqztixl [ 01 Jun 2010, 09:48 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

Fuck, I'm a moron. I've going around for years saying I'm an atheist.

Author:  skroo [ 01 Jun 2010, 21:49 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

dageaux wrote:
1.) If you have a chip on your shoulder and go around trying to force your belief in NO god down everyone's throat you are an atheist.

Whoa! I'm atheist, but I appreciate the comfort and guidance religion provides for some people.

Author:  dageaux [ 02 Jun 2010, 08:12 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

mzziqztixl wrote:
Fuck, I'm a moron. I've going around for years saying I'm an atheist.

Atheist sounds cooler. More hip and angsty.

Author:  dageaux [ 02 Jun 2010, 08:13 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

skroo wrote:
dageaux wrote:
1.) If you have a chip on your shoulder and go around trying to force your belief in NO god down everyone's throat you are an atheist.

Whoa! I'm atheist, but I appreciate the comfort and guidance religion provides for some people.

So you believe there is no being greater than yourself? Arrogance.

I am what I like to call a optimistic agnostic. I hope that there is an afterlife, that there is some reward (or punishment as is appropriate) for how you lived your life, perhaps even some higher being that created the universe, but I am convinced beyond a doubt that man in his fallibility could never grasp the power and majesty of said being.

I am willing to admit that I may be wrong, there may be nothing, or I may find myself face to face with St. Peter when I shed this mortal coil. But I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Author:  JDC [ 03 Jun 2010, 00:02 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

lol it's funny you should say that because i consider myself a pessimistic christian. i believe there's gotta be something more, but doubt is starting to creep in as the world just gets colder and darker.

Author:  skroo [ 03 Jun 2010, 02:34 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

Arrogance? (sigh)

No, Dag. It's accepting that our lives are finite and sometimes there is no reward for doing good and sometimes bad guys get ahead. It's knowing Mother Theresa and Machievelli are both needed in organized society. It's the next step in dismissing the myths of the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and benevolent democrats.

Author:  JDC [ 03 Jun 2010, 08:48 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

skroo wrote:
sometimes there is no reward for doing good and sometimes bad guys get ahead...


learning that one the hard way. fuckshitsuckskootherggufkcer. yeoooooooow.


i always thought rhat ist was agnositstct aeithims. not sperate things?????

Author:  mzziqztixl [ 03 Jun 2010, 11:57 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

skroo wrote:
Arrogance? (sigh)

No, Dag. It's accepting that our lives are finite and sometimes there is no reward for doing good and sometimes bad guys get ahead. It's knowing Mother Theresa and Machievelli are both needed in organized society. It's the next step in dismissing the myths of the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and benevolent democrats.


But I AM a benevolent democrat :(

Author:  skroo [ 03 Jun 2010, 12:35 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

JDC wrote:
learning that one the hard way.

It helps if you narrow your definition of good/bad and realize it's only relative to your point of view.

Author:  skroo [ 03 Jun 2010, 12:40 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

mzziqztixl wrote:
skroo wrote:
Arrogance? (sigh)

No, Dag. It's accepting that our lives are finite and sometimes there is no reward for doing good and sometimes bad guys get ahead. It's knowing Mother Theresa and Machievelli are both needed in organized society. It's the next step in dismissing the myths of the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and benevolent democrats.


But I AM a benevolent democrat :(


Yeah, I was trying to lighten the mood a bit. Or...I'm just evil. :squint:

Author:  Darkstar [ 03 Jun 2010, 13:33 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

I'm with Skroo here. (Yippee!) I absolutely, categorically do not believe that there is an afterlife, nor that there is a supreme being that created and watches over the universe. It just doesn't make any sense to me and the function of religion can be explained through some pretty simply psychology: we hate not knowing things and being out of control. If you're of the belief that somebody/thing is actively involved in the way the world works, it's somewhat comforting.

I don't really use the term atheist to describe myself, though, as it's been turned into a sort of anti-religious group. I just... don't believe in anything that conflicts with my own sense of logic. Is that OK, or do I need a label?

I still can't call myself agnostic, though, as I don't believe that there could be any kind of supernatural power. To be honest I stopped caring about religious bullshit a while ago. I'm just going to carry on jacking off to midget porn knowing that there will be no divine retribution for my sins. Also the fact that the line between right and wrong is a matter of opinion completely shits all over this whole heaven/hell idea.

Author:  JDC [ 04 Jun 2010, 03:21 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

loldon'trememberpoasting. gotta stop that.
hmm yep i know what you're saying skroo. but that's why i'm so pathetic. i never look at stuff and look how it effects me. i always take others into consideration (lol man i need to get off my own cock on that one. (budum bum)) which is why i'm always at the bottom of the rewards pile. which is probably why i'd like to think there is something more and life doesn't pretty much punish you for looking out for your fellow man

Author:  Darkstar [ 04 Jun 2010, 08:37 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

There's nothing pathetic about wanting to do right by others at your own expense. You've just got to know the type of people who will bleed you dry and try not to expect anything in return from those who are genuine. Seeing them benefit from your efforts should be the reward. That's not to be confused with just being a sucker, though. I guess it takes a bit of time to find the balance.

There's different kinds of rich, and I'd much sooner be a person who is rich in wisdom and understanding than somebody who is financially rich and got there by climbing on the backs of others. Actually I'd rather be both, but you can't have it all. Well, some do, but they're just greedy.

Yeah I've been reading Dalai Lama quotes. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Author:  JDC [ 05 Jun 2010, 04:23 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

lol good post. much appreciated. it would seem you've also been watching a bit of FG too...

Author:  mzziqztixl [ 18 Oct 2011, 11:39 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

Just reliving this 5 star thread.

Author:  JDC [ 18 Oct 2011, 20:27 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

just reliving what a whiney pathetic little bitch i was... QQ about life lolol

Author:  YerlA [ 20 Oct 2011, 07:40 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

oh, wow, 5 start thread indeed. Sad I missed it, glad I found it.

Author:  killerklown90 [ 24 Oct 2011, 12:26 ]
Post subject:  Re: Atheism or Agnostic

and now its ruined

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/