It is currently 25 Nov 2017, 02:38
Buy.com Win Your Bid Today At eBay! GoDaddy.com Hosting & Servers 7-day Free trial of Napster Blockbuster Total Access, Plans as low as $3.99

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FUCKKKKK YEAHHHH
PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 16:24 
Billionaire Boys Club Chairman

0_0: can i be there
http://nba.msg.com/article/00Sz81B2lzefC?q=Oregon

Quote:
Moonbats Call for Ban on Drilling

Posted by Van Helsing at May 12, 2010 11:18 AM

You had to know it wouldn't be long:

In the wake of the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, some lawmakers in another oil-producing region are calling for a drilling ban off their shores. 20 Democrats have co-signed a bill that would ban new leases off the entire West Coast.

All of the lawmakers are from California, Oregon and Washington State. The bill would amend the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act to permanently prohibit offshore drilling off the coasts of those three states.

According to the Minerals Management Service there are 49 active leases in the area. Currently 43 of those are active and producing 24 million barrels of oil and 47 billion cubic feet of natural gas annually. MMS estimates there are 10 billion barrels of recoverable oil and 37 trillion cubic feet of gas in the region.

Here's an idea: next time there's a tragic car accident, let's ban automobiles. Then we won't need so much oil anyway.

On a tip from Sean.

Post subject: Re: FUCKKKKK YEAHHHH
PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 16:28 

Quote:
State legislators appear headed back to Tallahassee for a special session that could give Florida voters the chance to ban offshore oil drilling.

"I think it's important that we go ahead and have a special session," Gov. Charlie Crist said Tuesday as efforts continued to contain a massive oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico.

The session would focus primarily on crafting a constitutional amendment to be placed on the ballot this fall.

"It's appropriate for the people to have the opportunity to make this call," said Crist, who also wants legislators to talk about renewable energies and oil alternatives.

No date has been set for the session. Crist said he first wants to "get some of the best minds to lay out a plan."

To place an amendment on the ballot, three-fifths of the Legislature would have to approve a joint resolution. If adopted, the amendment likely would go to voters in November.

Crist also announced plans to appoint a Gulf Spill Economic Recovery Task Force to assist businesses in recovering financial losses related to the massive oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico.

Local legislators greeted Crist's call for a session with mixed reactions, mostly along party lines, ranging from enthusiasm to accusations of political jockeying by Crist, who is running a heated race for the U.S. Senate.

Rep. Duane Taylor, D-Daytona Beach, said "voters need to have an opportunity to voice their opinion."

"I've always been opposed (to drilling) but there's nothing better than having the voters make the final decision," Taylor said Tuesday.

Senator Tony Hill, D-Jacksonville, is interested to hear the debate about a "serious issue."

But, Hill said he would support an amendment. "Put it in the hands of the voters and let the people decide."

Volusia's Republican legislators, however, urged caution.

"I hope we're not too reactionary," said Senator Evelyn Lynn, R-Ormond Beach, who hasn't decided if she would support a constitutional amendment.

"I believe we absolutely must preserve our beaches," Lynn said. "That's our livelihood in Florida."

But the state needs to be careful about such a permanent decision, particularly since alternatives don't seem to be materializing as fast as needed, she said. "Solar and all these things are wonderful, but they take a long time."

Rep. Pat Patterson, R-DeLand, and Sen. John Thrasher, R-Jacksonville, said the state should give federal investigators, who conducted their first day of hearings Monday, time to study what happened.

"We should understand the facts before we put something in the constitution that would forever prevent us from using those resources offshore," such as oil and natural gas, Thrasher said.

Thrasher, Sen. Carey Baker and Rep. Alan Hays, R-Umatilla, said a ban is not needed because Florida law doesn't allow drilling for oil or gas between three to 10 miles offshore.

"In essence," the state already has a ban on drilling, said Baker, R-Eustis. "We'd have to change state law to allow for it."

The trio said they would not place the amendment on the ballot, saying the issue doesn't belong in the constitution.

Thrasher said he's concerned about amending the constitution.

"Once it's in there, it's in there," he said. "We ought to be more worried about how to prevent this from happening again than from putting something in the Constitution."

Baker called Crist's move "nothing more than political grandstanding."

"This has nothing do with good governmental policy or the technical aspects of drilling," Baker said. "It has only to do with his race for Senate and it's embarrassing."

Baker, however, admitted to second thoughts about his own opinion on drilling. Baker said he has been supportive if the drilling took place beyond the visibility line from shore and using the "latest in technology."

"I'm for drilling if we can do it safely, but that appears in question now," Baker said. "Let's find out what went wrong and come up with a fix. We have years to figure out how to do this right."

Taylor shrugged off Republican legislators' concerns about amending the constitution, saying they just don't want to give up the authority for the decision.

"This would prohibit the legislature from bringing it back," Taylor said. Otherwise, "at any moment a state representative or senator would file a bill and all of a sudden we're offshore oil drilling."

U.S. Senator Bill Nelson, D-Fla., urged Crist Tuesday to call the session and ban drilling.

PostPosted: 13 May 2010, 11:46 
Creepy Old Man

0_0: Whoville Hash o_0
I believe we have had this conversation Mzz. there is a huge portion of the gulf ecoonomy that is oil based. TX LA and several other states would literally collapse without the revenue and jobs created by big oil. You may not like them, but they are a necessity and all the unicorn piss and rainbows in the world can't change that overnight.

In almost every case a bullet is better than a lawyer.

I want to leave the world the same way I came in: naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

PostPosted: 13 May 2010, 17:26 

all the grunts can be given pickaxes and allowed to build the solar and wind farms

PostPosted: 13 May 2010, 20:00 
Less is More

0_0: New Zealand
which is gunna keep them employed for how long?
dreams are dreams are ideals are unrealistic and you know it mzz

Tramps like us, baby we were born to run

PostPosted: 13 May 2010, 22:18 

shut up bitch you get a pickaxe

PostPosted: 13 May 2010, 23:53 
Been here too long

0_0: O_o?
dageaux wrote:
I believe we have had this conversation Mzz. there is a huge portion of the gulf ecoonomy that is oil based. TX LA and several other states would literally collapse without the revenue and jobs created by big oil. You may not like them, but they are a necessity and all the unicorn piss and rainbows in the world can't change that overnight.

exactly! it's like my whole smoking thing. i have to smoke all the time. my brain completely shuts down if i'm not inhaling a carton a day.

[23:45] enlever: Ugh, I officially hate white heads >.<
[23:46] ro: im sorry, we'll all go decapitate ourselves..
[23:46] inthebetween: YAY GROUP DECAPITATION

PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 12:14 

ROFL <3 roro

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]